Frequently Asked Questions
- What is your policy regarding future developments and upgrades?
Our printer is new, the Delta technology has shown its efficiency on robots for over 20 years, but has been used for less than one year on 3D printers.
Like any new product, improvements and corrections will be implemented as the product evolves.
Our first customers are as important as future ones and we do not want them to be disadvantaged because they showed their faith in us from the beginning.
When a new development is qualified, we always check that the new design is compatible with printers already sold.
We will offer upgrades at a special price for existing customers (up to 50% of the normal price).
- Is it a kit? Why do you sell the SpiderBot only as a kit?
Yes, it is a kit, for the following reasons:
- First of all in order to save shipping costs. To ship an assembled product worldwide requires very strong packaging, it increases the cost a lot. Having a look at the Fedex requirement for fragile items, it is not so easy to ship such products without good and very expensive, packaging. We do not want to take the risk that our printer is delivered damaged.
- Secondly, we have made the choice to use hi-quality components, and you save the money on the assembly.
- What is your support policy? What happens if I have a problem with one of the parts?
If you build the printer following the assembly manual and get problem with a part or if you discover a wrong part, there are 2 possibilities:
- The part is an expensive part that we buy (eg. a geared motor, motherboard...).
- We ask you to send back the original part, then we send you a replacement part.
- The part is a part that we manufacture or a low priced part.
- You take photos of the problem and send them to us by email.
- We analyse the photos (to check the default and avoid sending the wrong replacement part).
- If there really is a problem, we will send a new part free of charge the same day, so there’s no need to send the part back.
- Can you ship Worldwide?
Yes, we ship worldwide (except some countries which are under UN embargo and to personal addresses in Russia). Please send us an email with your full shipping address at sales[at]qualup.com, we will quote it and inform you, usually the same business day.
- Can you ship to a different address than the invoice ?
Yes, no problem, invoice address and shipping address can be different, it only has to be in the same country.
- Does the price shown on the product page include shipping?
Unfortunately no, you have to pay for the shipping costs to your country. Currently, as our web site may not handle all the countries, please send us an email with your full shipping address at sales[at]qualup.com, we will quote it and inform you, generally the same business day.
Note that the shipping cost will not include the eventual taxes of your country (varies according to the destination country).
- Do I have to pay VAT for European Countries? Or am I exempt of VAT?
The web site displays two prices, the VAT European rules are below:
- If you are in France, you have to pay VAT (20%).
- If you are in European Union & if you can provide us a valid European VAT number/Company Address for invoice, you will be exempt of VAT, if you cannot provide a valid VAT number, you have to pay the French VAT (+20%).
- All other countries Worldwide + Switzerland & Norway do not pay VAT.
Note that the cost will not include the eventual taxes of your country (varies according to the destination country).
If you have a any question regarding taxes and shipping cost, please send an email to pboichut[at]qualup.com.
- Was everything designed and created from scratch?
No, of course not, we were inspired by the work of:
A big thank you to all of these people for their fantastic work.The design of the:
- Dr. Clavel at the University of Lausanne for the Delta Technology.
- Johann Rocholl, for the Delta geometry with linear guide.
- Mr Werner Berry, for magnetic Rod-ends.
- "Sousoux" for porting the Delta technology into the Repetier Firmware.
- Hot-World GmbH & Co. KG for Repetier Firmware and software
- Arduino community
- Lonesock for KISSlicer
- And, of course, all the RepRap community...
Are all exclusive to SpiderBot.Created by Ph. Boichut on 10/01/2014 Permalink
- Three Sphere System
- Extruder with Dual Drive
- Dual Extrusion head
- Why did you add an enclosure, is it only aesthetic ?The rollover is not only for an aesthetic reason.In fact, to print well complex parts it is essential to have a constant thermal environment.Small parts print without enclosure, but a very high or complex part requires a constant thermal environment (just have a look on professional machines, they are all with enclosure and heated chamber)For example, in our tests, on some parts, just open the door of Spiderbot caused marks on the printed part.Spiderbot is ready to evolve into a professional printer. We are working on a ventilation system and heater of the enclosure, it will be offered as an option for new customers or upgrade for existing customers.
- Do you provide detailled instruction to assembly?
We provide a ~30Mb Pdf file with very detailled 3D graphic instructions for assembly.
The documentation contains 30 chapters, ~210 pages of graphics and photos with symbols explaining the assembly step by step.
You can download an example of the documentation by clicking here or the image above (4Mb).
- Is the SpiderBot kit difficult to assemble?
Our goal was : If you are able to assemble a piece of IKEA furniture, and know how to wire a power socket, you will be able to build your SpiderBot by yourself !
In fact, a 3D printer is not a simple product and is a subtle mix of mechanics, electronics, software and plastic processing. Dozens of reasons can make the final print fail. You'll need to carefully assemble the printer step by step following the documentation and you'll need to have a minimum of "common sense" and be "mechanically minded" (for example, not over tighten a small 3mm diameter screw in a plastic or aluminium part).
- What about the geometric calibration, is it difficult to perform?
All parts are indexed by laser cut with about 0.05mm tolerance, no need to calibrate or adjust geometry, simply assemble it following the documentation. The only geometric calibration needed is the Z level and bed inclination. You move the head at the 3 corners of the bed and adjust the 3 screws (thread 1.0mm, half a turn is 0.5mm, 1/4 turn is 0.25mm...)
- What software do you use to control the printer?
The first deliveries will be with KISSlicer (www.kisslicer.com) and Repetier Host (www.repetier.com).
We provide a setup which installs all the required software in a SpiderBot folder and does not interfere with any existing configuration.
Spiderbot uses a standard Arduino Board : Megatronics from reprapworld.com (the Netherlands), a RAMPS derivation.
The firmware is a Repetier derivative. "Normally" it should work with any software control which works with Repetier firmware.
We plan to build a configuration for Replicator G/Skeinforge, but only after the first deliveries and we cannot give a delay for the moment.